Monday, December 13, 2010

" A Door way to Heaven or Hell "

I have gone by this door many times and had no idea what it was for or where it would lead to. The path leading to it appeared to be well used. But I always had other things to do and didn’t have the time to investigate it. This door was the topic of conversations for a lot of people and that number could be more than half of the population.

One day, when passing this door, I met a friend coming form the other direction and we stopped to visit for a time. it was only natural that standing by this door, that it entered the conversation, We talked about foot prints leading into the door, but we couldn’t see any sign of a foot print coming out of the door. The question was why !, why wasn’t there tracks coming out. If no one came out, there had to be a really good reason for that.

No one had ever seen a sign posted there. They didn’t know if it was a privet door or why a door was put there in the first place. Everyone was curious about the door, most people were afraid to open it and others that were said to be brave, but not brave enough to open it. I’ll bet there has been many dares for someone to open that door.

One day I saw a item in the news paper asking for information on the door and the article ran for almost a year. But no one answered. Then a group of people offered a reward to anyone to find out about it. they would pay $250.00 before the person entered and $250.00 when he returned. That offer was eventually with drawn.

It was the day before my birthday, I would be 96 years of age, when I decided to go through that door, I put my hand on the door knob and it opened without any resistance, it seemed to float open by it’s self. Than it closed by it’s self. As I stood there, there was nothing for one to see, only light coming from everywhere. Then it started to dim and only the light came from just one, place far away. I started to
walk toward that light, but never seemed to get any closer. That was when I had decided to go back to where the door was, but there was no door there. No door knob no hinges no nothing. I hollered and hollered and there was no answer, All that was heard was the echo coming back.

Time appeared to be standing still. I walked and walked and walked some more and I was still in the same place. It never really got dark or light, it just stayed kind of twilight like. After the first 128 days, I thought I heard a marching band coming, The music got louder and louder as it got closer. Then the music stopped and when it started again, it was like it had passes by and going away from me, and about out of sight, when I heard it again.

Then a year had passed and I thought I smelled something cooking. Not far away, there was a fish laying and rotting away. Some time later, I thought I heard the sound of waves coming ashore and a boat whistle.

That was when I decided that I was hallucinating and in my pocket I found a watch, but the hands were missing. It was still ticking away like some one was pounding on a drum. I was holding it in my hand, when it disappeared and my hand turned blue, I was cold and freezing and started to shiver. There was sad music being played like you would hear at a funeral home. And then came loud cheers like some one had just hit a home run.

That was when this door opened again and hit me in the butt. There was bald head looking at me and it asked, are you the old or new year. As I stuck my foot in the crack of that door to stop it from closing. I jumped out and it was spring time and there were flower and the smell of fresh rain, there was a sun up in the sky. My watch once again had hands and it said it was two fifteen p.m. The person with the bald head had a news paper under his arm. But the date on the paper was missing and it was printed with fresh ink.

Where ever I was, It was not my home. But it was a lot better that where I was and I would start a new life here if I needed to. I started to walk, but tripped on some thing and fell. I was my own beard, long and almost pure white. My eye brows were so long no one could see my eyes. My finger nails were long and curved and my clothing was no more than rags.

I stood there and watched, as they laid me in this wooden box and nailed the lid down. Then they slowly lowered the box into the ground. A man with a book in his hand said: from dawn to dusk and from earth to dust, and a few other words and then tossed a couple of flowers in on top of the box and a said: "Begone". There were a few “Ah Mans” He close his book and invited everyone to stop at the beer joint to have a free drink.
Next I watched as the men were filling in the hole with dirt and thinking, I’ll never get out of there!

By; The Mouse
12/13/10

No comments: