Sunday, June 22, 2014

"The Big Race


“The Big Race”
Celebrating a big day was approaching and many events had been planned. The band would start on the east side, come down Main Street and stop In front of the Flat Land Hotel. Where a platform had been erected with seating for City officials and guest speakers.
First to speak, would be Pastor Simms, who would give the benediction and introduce the town Mayor, who always made a boring speech. Then the Ladies Club Representative would speak and then the Chief of Police. He is one of them guys who would like to put every citizen in jail, one day each month. Just to show his authority! The Guest speaker would be: “Old Blow Hard himself” State Congressman would speak!  He never knew when to stop talking and people suffered through everything he had to say!  His speech lasted so long, that some events had to be postponed until after lunch.
A local Beer distributor was providing all the cold beer you wanted to drink, along with lunch. The hour when the race was to start and the loud speakers called for all race participants to come to the starting line. At the sound of the gun, I was off and running.
We had to cross a field, go around a big Elm tree and back to the starting line. The grass was wet and mud made it slippery. I fell about a hundred yards from the big Elm, but back on my feet, I limped to the tree and set down in the shade. My hip hurt and the mussels in my legs were call for relief.  An ambulance was sent for me, but I declined as I was not going to forfeit the race.
After resting for a time, I was back on my feet and headed for the finish line. Arriving there, I was given a big hug from my wife and several pats on my back from spectators.  It seems that I was the winner of the race and at age eighty five, that was conceded to be a great accomplishment, not to mention that the Cold Beer had taken its toll, and I was the only contestant in the Race!
Want to know what I won. There was nothing in the box!
By: Ben R.
June 2014

No comments: